PART 4: INTERCEPTS & INTERCEPTORS


In October of 1986 a Soviet submarine in the Atlantic caught fire. On that day I was spinning the dial on my Panasonic RF2600 looking for HF military communications on the published U.S. Navy channels. I happened upon a phone patch on 8.992 MHz,  placed through the Global High Frequency System also known as GHFS.

Now known as the High Frequency Global Communications System (HFGCS) GHFS was (and is) a network of single sideband shortwave transmitters used to communicate with military aircraft in flight, military ground stations and United States Navy surface assets around the world. If and when a U.S. Navy ship loses communications through other channels due to sun-spot activity, lack of satellite availability or because it is over the radio horizon they use HF otherwise known as shortwave. It is also the HF back-up for Strategic Command to send the "Go-codes" also known as Emergency Action Messages to U.S. Strategic forces such as nuke-carrying bombers and missile silos. 

Someone of high rank on a Navy ship shadowing the submarine placed a phone patch through Andrews AFB (now known as Joint Base Andrews) to an DSN extension at The Pentagon. The gist of the call was about the fire on the Soviet nuclear submarine K-219. The K-219 was on a routine patrol in the North Atlantic Ocean when a catastrophic accident took place. A nuclear missile in one of the submarine's missile tubes experienced an uncontrolled explosion, resulting in a fire that rapidly spread throughout the vessel.

The  story goes, the crew, facing a critical situation, worked desperately to contain the fire and to prevent further damage. However, their efforts were hampered by various equipment failures and the worsening conditions onboard. The submarine's nuclear reactor was shut down to prevent a potential nuclear disaster.

As the situation worsened, the crew had no choice but to abandon ship. They transferred to life rafts and awaited rescue while the submarine slowly sank into the depths of the ocean. Several crew members lost their lives during the incident.

Rescue operations were launched by nearby Soviet vessels, and in an early show of Detente, American forces also participated in the search and rescue mission. Survivors were eventually located and rescued from the life rafts.


As the events unfolded (and with each successive phone-patch I monitored) more details about the incident were communicated to The Pentagon. Keep in mind this was incident involving nuclear weapons that no one outside the Navy and certain people in the Pentagon knew about. That was about to change. I had recorded everything. 

Think about this, a nuclear submarine was on fire and it wasn't on the news. 

I called the CBS News desk in New York and asked for a reporter. The woman who answered the phone asked what the call was pertaining to. I told her that a Soviet nuclear sub in the Atlantic had caught fire and I thought it was something the national news desk might want to know. 

I could practically hear her eyes roll. I'm sure she had talked to more than her share of nut-jobs claiming to know who killed JFK or swore they saw Elvis and Bigfoot together on the subway.

She rang an extension. A young producer named Jamie answered the phone. I told him what I knew and how I knew it. I played the recording of the intercepted phone patch. There was a long pause. I could hear him writing down notes.

"And where are you located, sir?" he asked.

"In Texas I replied, northwest Texas to be exact."

I could sense the doubt in his voice, but to his credit he didn't chalk the call up to a tin-foil-hat wearing crank.

I went on to explain how shortwave radio transmissions worked and how the carom off the upper atmosphere (like billiard balls off the side rails) and eventually ended up inside my radio.

He asked a few more questions and then for my number and said he would call me back. I totally expected to never hear from him again.

An hour later he called back. 

He said I was on a speaker phone and others were listening in, a reporter and someone you may have heard of named Dan Rather. They asked for me to play the recording again. I did. They asked to clarify how I intercepted the call. Again I explained how the GHFS worked. 

I could hear them talking among themselves and Jamie said "I'll call you back."  

An hour or so later they called me back again. I heard a very familiar voice say "Hello, this is Dan Rather. Can you play the tape again so we can record it?" I said sure - just let me know when you are ready." 

After I played it Dan Rather said, "We called the Pentagon and they said they had no knowledge of any Soviet sub on fire anywhere. Is this the real deal or are you playing some kind of a prank?"

I was a little pissed but I contained it.  

I said "Mr. Rather - I work for a local newspaper, you can call my boss and verify who I am. I think you know when someone is lying to you and that someone is not me." 

I added "You heard on the recording the Navy asking the operator at Andrews to route the phone number to a certain DSN number. The Defense Service Network (DSN) is the provider of long-distance communications services for the Department of Defense (DoD). Every installation has a special DSN number and the numbers vary by location. My guess is that particular number belongs to the Navy. Call the Pentagon, ask for that number and I'll bet that whomever answers the phone will have the rank of petty officer."

Dan said " Can we play your recording for them?"

"I answered, "Be my guest - just don't tell them who the source is."

Although what I had done wasn't illegal I didn't want the FBI starting a file on me just yet. That would eventually happen later.

The next day the producer Jamie called me back. Their Pentagon correspondent had played the tape for the Navy. They went into a huddle in a Pentagon office somewhere and then a PIO (Public Information Office) came out and confirmed the whole thing because someone at the Pentagon realized that helping any ship in distress (even a Soviet submarine) was good P.R. They even provided CBS News with video footage of them rescuing the Red Navy submariners. 

That intercept and others to follow would put me on the bonified source list of many national news media organizations. My phone would ring anytime there was breaking international news that had to do with the U.S. military. It would ring off the hook on 9-11. 


In 1983 I monitored the build up to the invasion of Grenada. I even recorded a phone patch from a Congressional aid describing mass graves the military had found. As soon as he mentioned them he was told to stop talking because the line was not secure. I called NBC News about this one and they couldn't have cared any less. That's the reason I called CBS News about the Soviet sub fire in 1986 and not NBC.

Later I was contacted by the Dallas bureau of CBS news and asked if I could build them a portable radio scanning system for use by their reporters in the field. I was told it came in quite handy during the siege of the Branch Davidian compound near Waco. When I delivered it I was introduced to a young budding reporter, Scott Pelley  Later Pelley would go on to report for 60 Minutes and then anchor the CBS Nightly News succeeding Katie Couric. 

Popular Science Article
Original Popular Science article by Stuart F Brown


A producer for 60 Minutes, Jamie Kraft would become a good contact inside the CBS organization and I would go on to do a report with him and reporter Bob McKeown after I took a video of a possibly secret (and still unacknowledged) military aircraft flying over the White Sands Missile Range in 1993. 

Popular Science Magazine took interest and did a story, which lead to others including a episode on Unsolved Mysteries. See below. 

The publicity led to meeting other "Interceptors" such as author Jim Goodall and Pop Sci west coast editor, Stuart F Brown and the late great  Phil Patton who would go on to write Dreamland - travels inside the secret world of Roswell and Area 51.  I wound up being a chapter in Phil's book and I would go on to fact-check Dreamland for him. The book grew out of a Wired article called Stealth Watchers.

It would because of Phil's book that I would meet "Mark "who would be the key in unravelling Roswell. More on him later. 

Before he passed, Phil was the only one I talked about Unraveling Roswell. He asked me to promise him I'd finish it and publish it. This blog is dedicated to Phil. 

By now you are probably asking yourself, what does any of this have to do with Unraveling Roswell? 

A leads to B leads to C and it's all apart of establishing provenance because without it and knowing my bona fides my story would carry no weight what-so-ever.

How many UFO videos have you seen where they can't be traced back to the source? Some will say the reason in "because he's sacred of the Feds" and that's a bullshit answer, in most instances to hide the identity of who faked the video. More on that later.

The original Interceptors at White Sands, New Mexico



UNSOLVED MYSTERIES: INTERCEPTORS


for Phil


UP NEXT - PART 5: BLACK SOUL - BLACK TRIANGLES - AND WHITE SANDS 

Comments

Popular Posts